Please check back often to stay up-to-date with our current Newsletter and what's happening to support crime awareness in the Cochrane, Foothills, West Airdrie areas of south-central Alberta.
- Cst. Gelinas, our new Rural Crime Watch liaison officer, reminds that vehicle thefts and house break-ins are on the rise in our area. His suggestions to AVOID BEING AN EASY TARGET!
- When leaving your vehicle in your driveway or on the street ensure to lock all the doors - if thieves can't get in your vehicle they can't steal it.
- Don't leave keys or garage door openers in the vehicle - or hanging where they can be easily accessed in the garage or by the back door. These are common areas for thieves to look to gain easy access to your vehicles or home.
- You too can make a difference in preventing rural crime!
- Airdrie RCMP continue to investigate after a weekend shooting on Baysprings Link in Airdrie, Alta. On November 23, 2019, shortly after 6:30 p.m., RCMP were dispatched to a complaint of a male with a gun shot wound at a residence on Baysprings Link. The injured victim remains in hospital recovering from his injuries. RCMP have released a composite sketch of the suspect. He is described as:
Please contact Airdrie RCMP at 403-945-7200 or your local police if you have any information regarding this or any crime. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- Middle Eastern male in his mid-20s
- Dark black hair and he had a goatee
- Approximately 5'9"
- On Saturday, November 22, 2019 shortly after 8:00 p.m., two 12-year old male pedestrians were approached by a man driving a van offering them a candy and a ride. The vehicle driver was described as 'non-Caucasian' and in his 50s and spoke with a Jamaican accent. The incident is described as taking place on Range Road 33 in Springbank, AB south of Cochrane. These youths did the right thing by getting a brief description of the place this took place, the vehicle and reporting the incident to the RCMP. The RCMP would like to locate the vehicle and speak to the driver. Cochrane RCMP thank the youths who reported the event on Range Road 33 and any callers for future reports of suspicious incidents as this allows the RCMP to investigate complaints with an intelligence lead approach and to eliminate matters that have innocent explanations. Public assistance is sought in relation to this incident. If you have any information, or have seen anything suspicious in the area, please contact the Cochrane RCMP at 403-851-8000. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- Doug Schweitzer, Minister of Justice and Solicitor General for Alberta, has recently issued a press release regarding Alberta's plans to combat rural crime. Posted November 14, 2020
- Rural Crime Watch App has just been released! A new Rural Crime Watch App has just been released by the Alberta Provincial Rural Crime Watch Association for use on your phone or mobile device. The App shows the RCMP detachment boundary map, spatially identifies which detachment you are in, and provides appropriate phone links to report suspicious or criminal activity. The App also provides crime prevention tips and other agency contact info. The App is available on the Alberta Rural Crime Watch website at the following link: www.ruralcrimewatch.ab.ca. Just click on the "Use the App" button and follow the directions to download the App to your phone or mobile device. Note that you will have to have your location service enabled on your mobile device for your web browser to allow the App to locate the detachment you are in.
- NEW! Members Only Page - Click on our new Members's Only & Reporter link to access our new Member's Only materials and Reporter. You will be directed to a log-in portal which, upon entry of your current ID and Password, will open both the "Member Only" materials and the "Reporter" tool.
Airdrie | Cochrane