Please check back often to stay up-to-date with our current Newsletter and what's happening to support crime awareness in the Cochrane, Foothills, West Airdrie areas of south-central Alberta.
- AIRDRIE RURAL RCMP INVESTIGATING MULTIPLE REPORTS OF FARMING EQUIPMENT FRAUD
Starting April 11, 2023, through Aug. 9, 2023, Airdrie Rural RCMP has received numerous complaints of large-scale fraud operations from victims throughout Canada.
Investigation has revealed that the victims are purchasing farm equipment on line for low prices, however, once funds are transferred, the buyer can no longer contact the original seller or the freight team hired for the shipping of the farming equipment.
RCMP would like to remind the public to be cautious when purchasing anything online and complete proper background checks and research for all companies, even if they seem legitimate.
Anyone with information regarding this occurrence can contact the Airdrie RCMP at 403-945-7267. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store. To report crime online, or for access to RCMP news and information, download the Alberta RCMP app through Apple or Google Play.
- ALERT - SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY
Some families on Huggard Road have informed us that there has been a man driving a white Jetta wearing blue jeans and a hoodie trying to get into homes. Best for people to keep an eye out. Please report to the Cochrane Police (403-932-2211) and Cochrane Rural Crimewatch.
- ROAD SAFETY TIPS FOR NEW DRIVERS
This month the Alberta RCMP is focussing on new driver safety. It takes time to build and develop driving skills. The Alberta RCMP reminds new, and experienced, drivers to keep these tips in mind:
- Drive sober. You must have a blood-alcohol level of zero. Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Don't go solo. Drivers with a learner's licence must be accompanied by a fully licenced (non-GDL probationary) individual. The individual must be 18 years of age or older and seated beside the driver (Government of Alberta, 2021).
- The posted speed limit is the maximum speed in ideal conditions. Slow down if conditions are not ideal.
- Do not drive distracted. Set up your handsfree devices, adjust your mirrors, and ensure everyone is wearing their seatbelt before starting your trip.
- Allow extra time and space when passing a larger vehicle, like an RV.
- Be aware of your surroundings and practice defensive driving.
All drivers have a role to play in upholding traffic safety; with a license comes a responsibility to follow traffic laws and ensure everyone's safety.
For traffic safety information, follow us on Facebook @RCMPinAlberta and on Twitter @RCMPAlberta.
- WINNER OF AGM DOOR PRIZE
Thanks to our partner, Jepson Petroleum, CFPA was able to offer a door prize at its April Annual General Meeting. We are pleased to announce the winner of the Jepson Petroleum BBQ set is Bearspaw resident, Stephanie D'Hondt (pictured right). Thank you to all who attended.
- RAVE PROGRAM EXPANDED
RAVE is a web based communication platform that RCMP officers are mandated to fan out real time alerts to community members in Alberta. Alerts are sent via email, text message or phone call - preference is on the account user. Details and Opt-In Instructions.
- CRIME WATCH ADVISORY
On 2023-04-23 at approximately 16:30, an unknown male arrived at the Shell gas station near the CrossIron Mills mall in Rocky View, AB, in a newer-model Honda Accord with AB license plate CCK8406 attached. The male entered the store and stole multiple chargers, Jack Links jerky, chips, drinks and other merchandise valued at $150-$200. The male then left the store and drove off without paying. It was later determined that the license plate on the suspect's vehicle was stolen from a vehicle that was parked at CrossIron Mills. The suspect is described as the following:
If you can identify the suspect, please contact:
Cst. Wesley GUERIN, Airdrie Detachment, 403-945-7200 ext. 7217
- Indigenous male
- Wearing a black Nike hat, gold chain, grey and black The North Face Sweater, black pants and black and white sneakers
- Tattoo at left side of neck
- COCHRANE RCMP REMINDS CITIZENS ABOUT PHONE AND ONLINE FRAUD SCAMS
On April 26, 2023, Cochrane RCMP received two reports of phone and online fraud scams of elderly citizens resulting in the loss of thousands of dollars. The Cochrane RCMP would like to advise the public about the dangers of these scams and provide some following tips to prevent being victimized:
- Never send e-transfers to numbers, emails or people you do not recognize or verify to be true
- Never provide passwords, PIN numbers, account numbers, over the phone, text or email
- Never provide credit card numbers via text or email
- Enroll in push notifications for mobile banking transactions
- Protect your PIN and always create difficult-to-guess PIN numbers
- Go paperless - sign up for online billing and financial statements to prevent criminals from stealing your identity or sensitive data from your mailbox
- Collect your mail daily
- Secure all your financial documents in a protected location
- Protect yourself on social media - avoid tagging your location while on vacation as criminals will know you're not home and do not accept friend requests from people you do not know
- Never share your passwords and regularly change your passwords
- Never open suspicious links in emails or texts
- Report any fraud or suspicious activity to your bank, Canadian anti-fraud centre and your local police
Cochrane RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity in our community at 780-851-8000 or your local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- CFPA ALERT - WALKING PATHS
Cochrane RCMP advise there have been recent home break and enters where access has been gained using the walking path behind a home. Please watch for suspicious actvity on walking paths behind your home, should this apply. Report suspicious activity to Cochrane RCMP at 403 932 2211.
- CFPA ALERT - AIRDRIE RCMP - STORAGE LOCKER THEFTS - Airdrie RCMP report there have been break-ins into Storage Lockers located in Storage facilities lately. These break-ins are occurring and being left in a manner so as to not look like the unit has been disturbed. Airdrie RCMP encourage anyone having items in a Storage Facility to check on the unit on a frequent basis to ensure you have not been a victim.
Please report any and all suspicious activity to the RCMP.
- Airdrie RCMP 403 945 7267
- Cochrane RCMP 403 932 2211
- CFPA ALERT - SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY RELATED TO RECENT BREAK - Cochrane RCMP advise to be watchful for 2 vehicles which have been deemed suspicious in recent break-ins in the Watermark and Springbank Airport areas. These vehicles are:
If you see these vehicles in your area, note details and call the Cochrane RCMP at 403 932 2211.
- White Dodge Ram truck - 2020 - 2023 model
- White Kia Soul
Cochrane RCMP also report, in the Watermark area, of persons using the pathways behind residences, to scope out homes and commit a break and enter by accessing the back side of the homes. Be watchful for those using the pathways and report any suspicious activity to Cochrane RCMP. Recent break-ins have resulted in the loss of cash and jewellery and other small items.
While this activity related to break-ins are, currently in the north part of the County, crime does not have boundaries; we encourage you to be watchful for suspicious activity in your areas and in your travels.
- CANADIAN ANTI FRAUD CENTRE - Please click on this link to learn more about current Scams and Frauds.
- WARNING: EMERGENCY SCAMS! - Fraudsters are inventing stressful situations to convince you to give them money. They may claim to be police, or tell you not to call police. Your RCMP detachment can help. Details in this poster - call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
- FREE MEMBERSHIPS FOR 2023 - Cochrane Foothills Protection Association (CFPA) is pleased to provide FREE memberships for 2023. We are keen to expand our membership to increase awareness and protection of our community. So, if you or someone you know has been looking for ways to increase your safety, security, awareness and knowledge, would like to get involved or simply meet some like-minded people, please complete the 2023 membership application form.
- ALBERTA RCMP APP - The Alberta RCMP have recently created a phone app that is available as a free download from your App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Android). The app contains current information on RCMP reports, rural and municipal crime statistics for Alberta detachments including Cochrane and Airdrie, Alberta crime map, Project Lock-up, Detachment contact info, Report a Crime tool, and Crime Stopper links. This is a very handy app for monitoring rural crime activity and RCMP reporting.
- Members Only Page - Click on our new Member's Only & Reporter link to access our new Member's Only materials and Reporter. You will be directed to a log-in portal which, upon entry of your current ID and Password, will open both the "Member Only" materials and the "Reporter" tool.
Airdrie | Cochrane